Monday, August 29, 2011

Monday Whine

Why is it that, when life happens and things don't go as planned, it's always the mom's plan for the day that has to be shelved?

This weekend, after installing that raised bed, my knee began complaining. I had decided that today I would re-start my health/fitness plan, which includes walking. No problem. I have a health club membership, and the club has a pool. This morning, I decided, I would take Mary to school, then go swim, then do some more gardening, and some house-decluttering, as my knee allowed. Oh, and stop at the feed store, since we're out of chicken feed.

Our story begins with our car's brakes. They quit. Just plain quit. There's a leak in a brake line. No problem. We still have a truck, and Mary's truck, too. One vehicle can be lame for a bit.

But big brother borrowed Mary's truck last week. Seems an epidemic of bad brakes has hit the Petermans, and the parts for his were due in yesterday. He returned it last night. This morning, we discovered that he had returned her key ring, but the key was not on it. He had put it on his ring (he didn't like carrying his sister's "girly" ring) and obviously forgot that part when he dropped off the car. Dad was kind enough to wait for the truck while I drove her to school. Since she actually did the driving, in a safe and careful manner, we ended up getting her to school about 5 minutes late.

OK, but this means I had to give up my swim, as Dad needed the truck. And big brother's brake parts did NOT come in yesterday as planned, so he can't just drive the key home on a break. So I'm stuck here today, with no chicken feed and a gimpy leg. I can avoid the chickens for a bit, but they're going to need that food, eventually. I have arranged a ride to the feed store for later this morning, and a ride home for Mary this afternoon. Things are under control.

But it looks like my workout and moving the strawberries will have to wait. Life has gotten in the way.

Thank you for listening to my whine.

No comments: