Wednesday, January 23, 2008

It Begins Again

I don't need a groundhog to tell me that spring is just around the corner. And so, 5 days ago, I began the ritual. My first seeds went into the ground.
I planted basil, oregano and Italian parsley into one of those little greenhouses; this one is smaller than a six-pack. The little basil and oregano plants are already up; the parsley is going to take much longer. It's a little surreal to be planting when, that night, we got 5-6" of snow. But I'll be glad come July.
Then, 2 days ago, I planted about 5 different kinds of lettuce in a 3-foot indoor greenhouse tray. Again, snow on the ground, and baby lettuce waiting to make it's appearance. It sounds a little odd, I suppose, when I have international produce markets within a half hour of me. But it's satisfying to head out to the yard before supper and pick tonight's salad.
Today I picked up some sweet potatoes. Some will be cooked for supper, probably tomorrow night. Some will be sprouted for the garden. Stay tuned as the garden season progresses.
Oh, and MAP has a pay-as-you-go cell phone now. We should be talking to him more regularly!

No comments: