Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Spring Break and Other Imponderables

We've been taking a spring break this week.
What's that? Do homeschoolers take a spring break? Why, when you don't "have to" follow the school calendar? Why do YOU take a weekend? Why do YOU take a vacation? Just because I chose to have my kids here 24/7 doesn't mean I don't need a break from that routine sometimes.
And spring break doesn't mean sitting on my tuchas, watching videos. (Although, truth be told, some of that DOES happen.) So far we have cleaned the Sanctuary, cleaned The Farmer's room, and done some shopping. It's looking good around here. Today we take a break for lunch with the Grandmas and, well, more shopping. Some things from the last trip need to be returned, and cleaning has uncovered many photos that need to be framed or housed in something better than the cardboard box they formerly called home.
And, while we're on the subject, homeschoolers don't test; at least in IL. We get asked that all the time, "Do they make you give tests to show how your kids are doing?" Um, do you realize those tests were invented to show PARENTS that the TEACHERS they'd hired were doing THEIR jobs? Not the other way around. Trust me, when you're with your kids 24/7, the last thing you want is to make them so ill-prepared for life that they end up playing video games for the rest of their lives. It's bad enough for the first 18 years...
And, about those 18 years; my kid is not a prodigal because he shows up for college at 14. Stop making homeschool kids feel like freaks when they do that. EP had the nasty experience of explaining to his History instructor that, no, he couldn't vote and get extra credit because, no, he wasn't 18 yet, and, yes, they do allow 16 year-olds to take History at the community college. (He got the extra credit anyway.)
Let's take care of some other "homeschool myths." My kids are not home so I have free babysitting all the time. Neither are they around to do chores I don't want to do; although, they sometimes do. We do not lock them in their rooms or force them to read the Bible 24/7. We do not censor their reading much at all. I would not hand Valley of the Dolls to my daughter; neither do I pull Harry Potter OUT of her hands.
Yes, it's legal, no we aren't homeschooling so we can avoid vaccinating our kids, (had to educate the pediatrician on THAT one) yes, we're Christian, but, no, we don't necessarily homeschool for that reason. No, we don't homeschool because we're anti-social, but, no, we don't agree with what passes for socialization in the government school. I do not need credentials, although I have them; there are scads of homeschoolers with far less education than I who are my mentors because they do it so much BETTER than I. No, my kids are not STUCK in the military because they are homeschooled; rather, because they homeschooled, they are willing to stand up for the freedoms they have already enjoyed. No, we don't have a classroom in our home; our home IS the classroom, as is the store, the park, the museum... Yes, we may be out during school hours, but that does not mean we're not learning. No, I don't think my kids will go to the prom, but that may be because they don't CARE to. Yes, they like to see their friends, and miss them during school hours, but have a blast with them, anyway. Please don't ask my kids, "What did you learn today?" or "Wouldn't you really rather go to school?" unless you want me to ask your kids what they learned, or if they'd really rather stay home.
Have I hit them all? I hope so. I apologize for sounding grumpy; I wonder if you can imagine how wearing these questions are. After all, how often are you asked to defend the way in which you choose to parent your child? What is your response? Imagine doing that on a daily basis. Would you or would you not sound grumpy, too, at some point?

3 comments:

Elephantschild said...

I *love* your list.

Kim said...

You have a right to be grumpy, these questions are so invasive.

With the recent media coverage about hsing here in CA we've been getting more and more questions and looks :( It certainly gets tiring answering all the questions.

Elisha said...

I think what you are doing is great. I just do not think I would have the patience for it.
You have every right to "be grumpy". No one has the right to question how you choose to raise your children.