Friday, May 2, 2008

Dream House...

Have you ever thought about what you would spend money on in your home and what you would not? I mean, besides the usual budget concerns. What would you find worth spending money on and what would make you take a pass?
We were discussing bidets on a webring to which I belong. I can't say why. I think it was one of those conversational turns that sometimes happens. Anyway, we discussed what the things cost and what they're used for.
It reminded me of a trip I once took to Lithuania, where we noticed that there was a wide range of toileting facilities, often surprising. For example, a very nice restaurant might have a restroom that reminded us of a really bad gas station. Another place might include fluffy towels and bidets. You know? But the explanation was that that part of the house/establishment might not be the most important to someone.
So what would you spend money on? What luxury, or otherwise, item would be on your "short list" in a new home, or for a remodel?
I remember buying our first house, and finding that the closets had no lighting. I had always lived with Mom and Dad, and their closets were well-lit. I didn't think about it; I just assumed closets had lighting, and was disappointed. That became an important item for me in the next house. Sadly, I got distracted by other things, and our next house also had dark closets. Finally we bought this house, and, you guessed it, lighted closets. Not that I would spend a fortune on this, but it IS nice.
I would spend money on hardwood floors. Despite appearing fragile, they are very easy to clean and care for. Having farm dogs has taught me that easy cleanup is critical; that's all I'm going to say about that.
I would also spend money on a roomy, brightly lit utility room. I would put in wide, open countertops with bins beneath for folded laundry. (Then I'd send the kids to put away their bins.) I would include TWO wash sinks, because buckets and things always seem to be drying in mine when I want to use it! I would have a wall with a built-in ironing board and ironing station (with military kids, yes, things get ironed here!) I would include a laundry chute (which I already have) and bins for sorting dirty laundry (which I do not.)
Can you tell that's something that really bothers me?
I would LOVE a bidet in our bathroom. There. I said it. If it's too personal for you, well, why are you reading a blog? After I work out and do farm chores in the morning, I need a shower, at least if I want to be around other humans during the day. I like to get into bed all clean and drowzy; that often means another bath in the evening. A bidet might help save water around here!
I would spend money on a library. I've seen 8x10 rooms with beautiful paneling called "libraries" in some homes. No, no, no. Mine would have shelving everywhere to store my ever-expanding collection of books. It would have enough room for a small seating area; maybe a loveseat, for when I read with the kids or John, and a comfy chair, for when I read alone. A wood-burning fireplace would be a must, as well as a small sink, refrigerator, and a coffee maker, maybe a Keurig.
Now, most of you wouldn't think of this, but I would spend money on a slightly larger and certainly more organized barn! We need a couple more stalls, real stalls, not the glorified pens we have now, and hay storage has always been a problem. Also storage for grain and other feeds. We use galvanized cans, and they take up a lot of space. I would like a grain room. We also need a better garden shed and a central location to store rakes, hoes, etc. It's so aggravating to go looking for a shovel in the barn, and then remember I had it across the yard in the garden, only to get to the garden shed and find that John took it to the garage.
So. What would you spend money on to make your house your "dream?" I've given you a topic. Discuss. I have to go set up a savings plan!

**UPDATE**Forgot something. Thought about it, but forgot. That dream utility/laundry room would have TWO (count 'em, TWO) front-loading washers and dryers; a REAL dream home would have commercial-grade equipment. Whether you have 10 kids, 1 or are empty-nesters, there comes a time when one washer is not enough. Be prepared, Scouts!

4 comments:

AmusedMomma said...

I like your thinking on the washer/dryer situation.

I'd have a covered back porch that has a good view of Pikes Peak and a smooth wooden porch swing so that I could read there or cuddle with the kiddos or hubby.

Elephantschild said...

At least the double dryer would be good, and I'm with you on the big bright utility/ mud room.

I need a separate sewing room. I hate sewing in my dining room.

Ma said...

I want an office that is just mine. In the office I want a desk big enough to hold two computers and a color laser printer. I want a 42 inch flat panel tv, sofa, cozy lamp, and a window that looks out over the pool. I also want a back porch that can be hidden but faces the pool. I want a king size bed and 60 inch flat screen tv in it. In the summer, that is where I want to sleep. I also want all the security cameras.

Carmela said...

Oh, a library would be really nice! I've also bought a bidet, but it's the spray type, so it doesn't occupy that much space since it's attached to the toilet.