Monday, May 19, 2008

Frustrations!

We have spent the past two weekends working around here, trying to clean up and fix up for summer. Normally, we would have done this in late March or early April, but, between John starting a new job and the ridiculous weather...I mean, come on, it's May 19th, and the furnace still runs at night!
Last weekend was trimming out a treeline. This weekend we tried to trim out the pond, and till the garden. Since it's still too wet to do a good job tilling, my poor broccolis (sown January 21st!) will just have to hang out in the greenhouse for a couple of more days. I don't know why I'm bothering; they're probably too stunted to really grow even when they get outside.
I did have some success with raspberries, though. We lost some during the winter, but gained more shoots from other plants. I transplanted yesterday, filling in the rows with plants I hope will be supplying us with yummy berries for years to come! And the strawberries...blossoms galore! I hope we can keep the birds out of the patch!
Plants aren't the only frustrating tings around here. The new sheep are not getting used to us, which makes moving them to and from the pasture very problematic. MSP is better at it than I am, so, when I feed them, they have to stay in the goat pen and eat hay. That should teach 'em, right? Even when they get out in the pasture, the goats and cow are really nasty toward them. We're in the process of dividing our pasture. They should get their own "sanctuary" soon.
Oh, and the terriers are gone again. Durn microchip. They'll probably be found, identified, and we'll get them back.

2 comments:

Elephantschild said...

Dogs!

Elisha said...

Every time I think my life is crazy busy, I read your blog and don't feel quite so bad. lol