Saturday, July 12, 2008

Saturday Farm Report

We had a WHOMPER of a storm last night. The power went out, making us late for a Starbuck's date this morning. We were meeting JP4, who also slept in, so, no harm done!
I was up around 3am and thought someone had pulled into the driveway. Instead, when I checked, I found that the lightning was so bright and so constant it looked like headlights pulling in and moving around the front yard. Shortly after, the rain started. I was back to sleep, but John said it came down in sheets, buckets, and wheelbarrows, and it shows today. We have standing water everywhere, including up on the hill above the house. When I walked today, the water lapped into my sneakers UP ON THE HILL. That often happens after a rain down by the pond, but this was on "the high ground."
Of course this makes chores today problematic. Again, the lawn looks like a forest...and can't be mowed. The stalls were cleaned, but don't look it. I can't put shavings back down until they dry a little...which could be next week sometime! (I'll put bedding in before the critters go to bed, don't worry!) And the air has been running. although it's not 80 yet. It's just. So. Sticky.
So, that's about it. Rain, rain and more rain. Some trees and branches cracked and down, but no major damage. We call it flooded, but I'm sure Iowa and Indiana would call it a spring sprinkle. So it's not so bad.

1 comment:

Elephantschild said...

We got it pretty rough here, too, although our power didn't go out.

Sure wish the guys who are going to do the gutters on the house had finished up that job *last* week. Can't wait until I can make better use of my basement.