Saturday, July 26, 2008

Saturday!

What a beautiful day in Illinois! The high was predicted to be 87, and I'm betting we made it, but it was dry and comfortable. The day started at 7:30 with a trip to Starbuck's, followed by blueberry picking at this farm. Recognize it?



Yep, the McCann's have blueberries, too. I was a little disappointed in the picking, though. Between the Japanese beetles and the funky weather, (warm days and cool, even cold, nights)(which may be wonderful for humans, but not so much for ripening blueberries) the pickin's were slim. And the sizes were very varied. (Say that one fast, why doncha?) But we managed 4 pounds in an hour. I've ordered 20 pounds from Michigan this week; it's still within 100 miles, as the crow flies, so it's still local, right?

MSP and I did some ridin' today. Bucky, the new boy at the stable, is our current favorite. Sweet, cuddly, and gentle, he's also fun to ride. I'm remembering those muscles I worked so hard to develop some thir--never you mind how many years ago. It's possible an equine may be living here soon, on a trial basis, if nothing else.

Got my walk in today, although a little late. Did some shopping for the fair; healthy foods! (Do Twinkies count? MSP HAD to have them!) I bought water, cottage cheese and diced peaches. There was grain to mix and a barn to sweep; lots of maintenance today. Maybe John or I will get the lawn mowed this weekend. I say we should just put the sheep on it!

Have a lovely Sunday.

2 comments:

Elisha said...

I planted a few blueberry bushes here at our house this year. Didn't get a lot of of them yet but a couple hand fulls. Dean loves them. We also planted several grape vines as well as a couple blackberry bushes. Not much fruit but wasn't surprised since it is the first year for everything.

Can't wait until they are mature.

Jane said...

The blueberries here were plentiful, but they were varied in size.

I need to finish figuring out what to do with the rest of them