Thursday, September 18, 2008

My Pantry Vomited

All over my kitchen.

I woke up Saturday and it was raining. I mentioned it earlier, but we had about 36 hours of downpour over the weekend. I think Hurricane Ike overdid it, if you ask me. We would occasionally have a break in the weather, for a hard drizzle, but downpour was the order of the day.

So, with all the rain I decided to clean the pantry. I had been wondering for a while what was lurking in the back, and I found out. I pulled things out and set them on counters. I tried to organize them into piles of similar foods, etc. But chaos soon ensued. The counters overran.






I thought it would stop, but it just kept coming.



So now it was empty.

In the last picture, you can see one of those cheezy stackable-bin things. It seemed like a good idea when I bought it, and it actually worked well for about ten years. But it was beginning to fall apart and I was just waiting for a rainy day to ask John to add another shelf to replace it. I wish I had thought to take a before picture. Here's an empty picture; will that work?



And now, the tidier, more organized pantry;



It actually makes me feel guilty. I threw away food this weekend; things I found that had expired. People are hungry...and I'm throwing away food. I complained about the work involved in cleaning out the pantry. I whined about having to lug things downstairs to my overflow pantry. Um...I have an overflow pantry. See what I mean? I feel guilty.

But our food is more organized and I can now figure out how to use it responsibly. That counts for something!

2 comments:

Elisha said...

Funny that you would post this today, one of the things on my list for this weekend is to clean out my pantry. I too am ashamed to admit that I will be throwing some food away too I think. Unfortunately some of those things always seem to find their way to the back of the pantry and expire without us noticing.

By the way, your end product looks very nice. I wonder, how long will it look like that? I only ask because I know that when I get mine looking like that, it will continue to look like that for oh...... maybe a week. Then someone will start looking for something in particular and it will look like a disaster zone once again.

Elephantschild said...

Is that second picture all condiments?!?