Thursday, September 11, 2008

Quit Yer Whinin'

I got a comment that I haven't blogged in a bit. I didn't think I was THAT popular, but, you know, those stalkers...they just don't let up! I mean, for Pete's sake, the garbageman gets a break; why not me?

So that's it. I took a three day break. It was worth it. I cooked, I cleaned (well, not much, really) I taught kids and I did some family errands. One whole day was taken up with Junior, who decided to be sick, sick, sick. When calves decide to be sick, it's almost messier than three boys with the stomach flu. Almost. It does smell worse. And that's all you need to know.

But today I am blogging again. I'm blogging about naps. Because the one thing I didn't get enough of during my break was naps.

You wouldn't think an adult woman would need a nap, but, I do. Daily. I got back into the habit when Ethan was an infant. The older boys were in school, (this was pre-homeschooling, of course) and I would put him down after lunch for an hour or two. When I should have been cleaning mildew or grinding wheat for homemade bread, I was napping. It was lovely. But I had to start turning down the volume on the answering machine (which lived in our bedroom) and turning off the ringers, too, because my mom and grandmother would call me. They'd choose those two hours to call and chit chat about nothing, simply because, "It isn't right that you're napping." But I showed them. I could control the volume!

Thinking back, I started napping in college. I am one of the only people I know who had five-day-a-week, all eight semesters, all four years, 8am classes. Because of my major, (geology) many of those had lab components which, of course, were held in mid-afternoon. If I was going to stay awake for them, I had to nap after lunch. And nap I would. I learned way back then that I could nap for 20 minutes and feel refreshed. It was lovely.

Now, however, I am finding that I need longer than 20 minutes. 45 minutes is about right. Any shorter, and I'm waking up groggy because my sleep rhythm is messed up. Any longer, and deep sleep REALLY sets in and it's hard to wake me up. So, hopefully, 45 minutes it is.

But this week, I was lucky to get 30. If the phone didn't ring, (gotta find the ringer off button again) someone came to the door. Or a calf needed doctoring. So I could use a little longer break. But that one stalker isn't gonna let me...

Hey, could the rest of you keep her occupied so I can get some sleep? Thanks.

2 comments:

Elephantschild said...

Three days off of blogging isn't that bad.

This is why I like google reader. I can catch blogs that take a few days off.

AmusedMomma said...

Yup, that Google reader is a great idea and helps me keep up with blogs as posts are made.

Why not be a rebel and take off as many days as you like?