Saturday, October 11, 2008

Saturday Again!

I gotta get an imagination...that title auto-filled! I've used it before.

This week was Farmer John's week of vacation. Every fall we try to take a week and organize things for the winter. This year it was an abject failure. We started by tearing out our ancient, stained and vile-smelling living room carpet. I just couldn't be cooped up with that thing for an entire winter again. So now my living room looks like this;



I will say, this house was built 40 years ago, when they used actual wood for the plywood for floors.



We toyed with just varnishing the plywood and waiting until spring to worry about putting in a real floor, but let's just say our terriers had other issues besides running away. Hence the stained carpet...and plywood. So we were going with Plan B, painting the floor. We were resigned to living with Sandy Beige floors for a few months.
But then, we were out shopping, and found a deal we couldn't refuse. And so, now my front hallway looks like this;



21 boxes of unfinished red oak flooring. Yee-haw! I love sawdust and polyurethane! Even more...I love what the floors look like when it's all over. The thing is, other couples would have organized this better. Other couples would have bought the flooring at the beginning of the week off, not at the end. Then they could have done the installation over the course of the week, not in little bits in the evenings or on the weekends. But not John and I. Oh, no, we LIKE chaos in our life.

That's why we're having a garage sale today.




And this is what passes for "life in the fast lane" on the farm!

1 comment:

Elephantschild said...

Oh, man! I wish I could've come to your garage sale!

(Not that I can spend anything at. all. this month, but that's beside the point. Small detail.)