Monday, October 6, 2008

The Wheels of Justice...

This morning our workout was interrupted by Jay, reminding us that he had to appear in court today. We generally tag along as some sort of support system.

He is facing two charges. On the one, the case was continued. There didn't seem to be any reason given, just "continued." On the second, a DUI, key evidence is missing. His blood alcohol test is lost in the system. The chance of this evidence turning up at this point is next to none, but the county has a full year (from May) to charge him with this crime. So, the case was continued.

Next month, he will again appear in court. Most likely, both cases will be continued. Did I mention that in the first case, there is evidence that the charges have been falsified, and he really didn't do what he's accused of? Did I mention that witnesses in the second case, included someone severely injured in the automobile accident which brought the charge, have all concurred that he was NOT driving under the influence? That is was a nasty accident, but not a DUI accident? Nevertheless, it is likely he will be taking time off work monthly until at least next May to deal with this.

Continued cases, lack of evidence, no resolution. I'd like to work in an industry like this, where I wouldn't have to produce anything to continue in my field and accept my pay. Don't get me wrong. I rejoice in the fact that I live in a country where my son would not already be beheaded for his "crimes." Or where he would be imprisoned, and considered guilty, until he had the chance to prove his innocence. But when we complain about the backlogs in the court system...now I see how this happens. And I'll be remembering.

No comments: