Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Prepping

I have an adventure coming tomorrow.

Through circumstance, I learned about a milking cow that was being sent to the butcher this week. Knowing that I had a few friends who might like her, I posted it to my online network. Lo and behold, within 5 minutes, Ranchwife had staked her claim.

Problem. The cow is in Wisconsin, and Ranchwife is in Wyoming. The weather is dicey, and travel back and forth is chancy.

Enter me. Tomorrow I will head to Wisconsin, where I will become a foster mom for a bred Jersey cow. She'll stay here until the weather is a little better. We're even OK with cold and wind, just not the sloppy ice we've been hit with lately. Then I'll load her up again, and take her to Chocolot's farm in Iowa, where I'll meet up with Ranchwife and make the swap. We may be swapping a horse for Mary for this cow, if all goes well...Stay tuned.

Have I mentioned I've never hauled a trailer by myself?

I'm all about the adventure!

6 comments:

Genuine Lustre said...

You'll be fine with the trailer. If I can do it, you can. : )

Do you still have Matt's cow?

Elephantschild said...

When is Mom due to have her calf?

And I SO think this cow needs a Looper-ish name!

Wendi said...

Well, for enquiring minds... the horse end of the deal is done. She is happily in Ranchwife's custody and can stay here as LONG as she wants! The Rancher woke up this morning after laughing at the whole thing for two days, and said, "We DON'T need a milk cow!" Stay tuned ;-)

As to the name... we were thinking "Half ' N Half" since she's only got 2 working quarters... maybe the calf can be Looper or something... or we could have a Looper "name-the-calf-contest"... I just gotta work on that Rancher!

Senor Sock said...

Moo!

Melody said...

Mossback, Matthew's cow is really Ethan's cow. Bessie is for sale, but, no takers, yet. I am trying to get her bred to a nearby mini-Hereford bull, but I have to go pick up this cow tomorrow....
EC, Mom will freshen in April.
Wendi, I told you; just tell him she's on her way!
SS, Moo right back atcha.

Kristi said...

Happy to facilitate the loading and unloading of several livestock trailers (will you all be staying over I assume?)

Any other loopers needing a central location to make livestock swaps, please feel free.......

LOL!!

Kristi