Thursday, January 22, 2009

In Honor of Those Marching...

Along with Mike Gallagher, I am honoring those who march in Washington,DC, today.
I was listening to Dennis Miller this morning. He is as conservative as it gets, but, because he believes in less government, in not regulating everything ad nauseum, he is pro-choice. He thinks people should be able to have abortions, if they want to; although I'm willing to bet he doesn't intend to pay for them! His comment was along the lines of, "Why should we stop them? If they want to, well, it's abhorrent, but let God tell them someday that what they did was wrong."
While I tend to agree with the guiding reasoning of his statement, I think he's forgotten about life at the other end. I may not have shared that Grandma's doctor called me about two weeks after she passed away, and asked me what I thought of her care at the rehab center. I was very candid in my disapproval. So was he. He told me, "Well, I told the doctor there that he killed my patient, and I was not happy about it." He further expressed his frustration with medical staff not treating the elderly as if they were worth any time and energy. This attitude, he said, is not just at that rehab center, but is appearing increasingly in all corners of the medical world. Any human life that is not perfectly strong, vigorous, and independent, is viewed through the lens of, "What will this cost us in time, energy and money? Is it worth it?"
And I worry about that. While I have passed the stage where I might be aborted, I am facing the stage where someone might want to persuade me to "go home". I know I will...but when God's ready for me, not when I'm ready. And I certainly don't want someone deciding for me that I've had "enough" (whatever that means) years and it's time for me to check out...so let's withhold this or that treatment.
So I will continue to pray for and silently work for those who can't work for their own right to stay alive. In that spirit, I ask this question of our current President; why you and not them? (Thanks to Cheryl for pointing me this way!)

No comments: