Tuesday, June 23, 2009

I'm Normal!!

What the heck is she talking about?

Last night was Weight Watchers' night. I haven't reported about my weight loss lately, mostly because there hasn't been any! Through the winter, I was less than enthusiastic about "the plan," although I went through the motions of being on it. Actually, I didn't; I didn't move, I mean. I have now learned that, if I eat properly, I do not gain. BUT, if I do not exercise, I do not lose. This winter and spring, exercise was less than regular, and, while I did not gain, I did not lose.

That changed dramatically when we returned from Basic Training graduation. Getting ready for this wedding has involved so much motion and activity that I've lost 6 1/2 pounds in the last two weeks! I'm eating just as I did before, but painting, building, cleaning, mowing, etc, have sucked the weight right off of me. I'll have to keep this up.

So I am now down 38.6 pounds. When I started this endeavor, I checked with my doctor about where to finish. We talked about Body Mass Index, a measure of body fat that compares your height and weight. When I began, my BMI was 31.2; you are considered obese if your BMI is over 30. Each week, after weigh-in, I would come home and enter my weight at the Weight Watchers' site, where there is a tracker that graphs weight loss. It is fun to watch that little line go down, down, down. Then I would go to this site to calculate my BMI. I was shooting for 24.9, which would put my weight in the "Normal" range.

That happened last night! My BMI is exactly 24.9; hence the title of this blog post. I am finally normal.

Now, whether my friends and family would attach that label to my mental state is a topic for another blog post....

3 comments:

Melanie said...

Congratulations! I'm finding that is it harder and harder to keep the weight off without cutting back on food and increasing exercise. You've accomplished a feat you can be proud of! Way to go!

Melanie

Karen said...

Congratulations on your success!

Genuine Lustre said...

Outstanding Melody!