Thursday, September 3, 2009

Home Again, Home Again, Jiggety Jig

Our ranch idylls are ended. We drove back Sunday and Monday...and were stopped by police only twice! One time I made the mistake of checking the map while driving. I know, I should have pulled over. But I was in western Nebraska and hadn't seen another car for about an hour. Until I looked up from the map...and saw one...coming directly at me, because I had meandered into the other lane! I pulled back into mine, and the lights came on behind me. "Are you all right, ma'am?" said the nice Nebraska trooper. "Yes, just stupid," I said. I explained my idiocy, he checked my paperwork, and let me leave, leaving me, as he said, in the capable hands of my 14 year-old daughter. -sigh- The second time was shortly after 1am. I had driven about 12 hours and was about 10 miles from my destination. I fell asleep at a stop sign and swerved as I drove away. On came the lights. The nice Iowa trooper thought I might be driving under the influence, but realized I was very tired when he heard how long I'd been driving. "Didn't you hear my horn?" he asked. When told that I had been listening to LOUD country music and singing along to stay awake, he said, "Well, I can't fault you for listening to good music." He checked my paperwork, and asked if I was OK to continue. Oh, yeah," I said. "The adrenaline is flowing now!" So he sent me on my way with a smile. Twenty minutes later, I was snuggly warm in a bed in a friend's house, and five minutes after that, sound asleep.

I have some pictures to share of our time at the ranch. They'll be here tomorrow, and for a few days afterward. Stay tuned!

No comments: