Monday, October 19, 2009

I Owe, I Owe, So Off to Work I Go!

My wonderful husband has asked me to find a job, already. We have spent more than we should, and owe more than we ought, so a little extra income will help. But I hate it.

It's not that I'm lazy. Say that one to my face! I do more physical and mental work around here than your average medical doctor and nurse combined. It's more of a philosophy.

Ecclesiastes 5 says, "Moreover, when God gives any man wealth and possessions, and enables him to enjoy them, to accept his lot and be happy in his work--this is a gift of God. He seldom reflects on the days of his life, because God keeps him occupied with gladness of heart." God has blessed me with work; fulfilling, challenging work, in my home, and I'm good at it. Darn good, I'd say. Our home is clean, (generally) organized (mostly) and happy. Nutritious meals, planned by me and prepared mostly from whole foods, are enjoyed. Education is exchanged, memories are made and life is enjoyed. Each of us has our place here, and we're (mostly) content in it. No, we aren't rolling in the dough, but we have enough.

Remember, back in the Seventies, when women were "liberated" to go to work, and didn't "have to stay home raising babies anymore?" Taking me out of this and sending me to an office, shop or studio will be like taking those women who love their careers and sending them home. In fact, that's exactly what it is. It's making me exchange a fulfilling, interesting career for one that will never satisfy.

I believe that's because we've been stupid. We've taken what God gave, and grabbed for more, until He's had to pull back and let us realize that we're being disciplined. We've squandered the good and now have to settle for the leavings, just to get by. We're still at the point where part-time work will be sufficient, but even that will change the ecology we have here enough to make it uncomfortable.

So, if you have kids, have them read this. Maybe someone's kid will learn from our mistakes, and not have to go through this. I hope so.

1 comment:

goatlady said...

I always said I was born to late. Wish I could stay home and work the frm instead of having to go to a 9-5 job