Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Christmas Film Festival

It started a few years back. We hold a family film festival during Christmas break. One year we watched all of the James Bond films. (When I said this was a family film festival, I didn't mean all the films were family films, OK?) We watched WWII films during the first festival. We spent one Christmas break devouring the first season of 24.

We started our festival on Saturday night, with Going in Style. John and I remember that one being a bit more hilarious, a bit less somber. Tonight we watched Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow, one we've seen before, but these films aren't always ones we're seeing for the first time.

Movies mean popcorn. Even when we try to watch without food, about half an hour in, we all get a taste for popcorn. Here on Pine Ridge Farm, we make it the old fashioned way. We use this pot



which my grandmother gave me, years ago. I have no idea how old this thing is. I just know that it makes the best popcorn. She told me she used it for popcorn, too.

The heat goes on. I told you, we do things the old fashioned way here, even lighting the stove.



I put in some oil (1/4 cup, for you fussy folk)



and 3 kernels of corn. Once upon a time, my mom started popcorn this way, and now I'm imprinted. It's how I do it.




Once those 3 kernels pop, in goes 1/2 cup of kernels.




I shake the pan to cover the kernels with oil, but I couldn't take a picture of that. My hands were busy shaking the pot! Then the magic happens.



Yum.




Yum.




Yum.




Peanut oil. Salt. No butter. In case you were wondering. Our popcorn is purchased from several very cute Cub Scouts. We buy about 15 3-pound tubs in the fall, and it usually lasts all year. We finish it all.

Tomorrow night we'll be at the theatre, watching Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows.

No comments: