Thursday, January 5, 2012

Christmas Film Festival, the Report

So, I mentioned that we do a Christmas Film Festival here on the farm. This year the theme was "Movies We Just Feel Like Watching." I thought I'd share some of what we saw.

In no particular order, because I didn't keep track and can't remember what we saw first, second, etc, we saw:

Sherlock Holmes 2: Game of Shadows.

It was entertaining, but missed something. Plot connections, among other things.



Sky Captain and The World of Tomorrow

Yes, we'd seen it before. It was time to see it again, I guess. We like the filming style; very sepia/colorless, except for that WWII lipstick!



Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol.

Typical impossible mission, but fun to watch. Much chuckling at the absolutely impossible ending. I admit it. I couldn't watch the scene where he jumps into the hotel window. Too much vertigo!



127 Hours.

Seemed that long. Read about Aron Ralston online; takes less time, you get the same information.



Limitless.

Shoulda hadda limit.



All Good Things.

Not such a good thing.



Lest you think we sat around watching movies we hated...

Captain America The First Avenger

We hadn't seen this one before. It was fun, although it had the unsatisfying ending of the middle movie in a trilogy. But I'm a sucker for WWII movies.



The Adventures of Tin Tin.

Entertaining. I don't know if I'll ever get used to CG animation, but it does allow the filmmaker to defy the laws of physics. And that can be a good thing, right?



War Horse.

Beautifully filmed, amazingly acted...by a horse! I love the shot at 1:23. How did they get the horse to show those emotions to the camera? That look at 1:41 is just amazing. Oh, of course, the people were good, too. The expression at 1:58 captures just how it feels when your horse is hurting and there is nothing you can do.



Cowboys and Aliens.

C'mon, Mulder and Scully told us, didn't they, that alien abductions have been going on forever? Fun story, and another chance to see Daniel Craig in action.



Elizabethtown.

Our third time for this one. It's a favorite.



And last night we ended it with The Help.

I had read the (very good) book, and really wanted Miss Mary to at least see the movie. It did not disappoint. I wish I could say what Minny says at :54, just like she says it. I really think it's a physiological thing, and no white woman will ever be able to do it just that way.



We always enjoy our family film festivals. We're already planning the next one!

1 comment:

Kristi said...

The only one we've seen of those was War Horse, but absolutely loved it!! Great movie!!