Friday, February 24, 2012

An Expression of My Opinions

A friend of mine posted this as her Facebook status today.

Someday it would be really nice if all these snooty holier-than-thou leftist experts on Christianity would understand the difference between "stop telling me what I have to do" and "you have to do what I say." Just because I object to the crap you want to force me into does not mean that I am telling you how to live or expect you to live or think as I do.

And I responded, "Yeah! What she said!"

It sticks in my craw, as in hers, that those who object to my beliefs/lifestyle/way of doing things think that I expect them to believe/live do things the way that I do. I never, never, never expect that of anyone. Except my children, but that is because our home is not a democracy, but a benevolent dictatorship. But that's a matter for another post.

I believe that people should get a solid education before embarking on life. The form of that education will vary with each individual, and the way that I got mine is, perhaps, not a workable manner by which you should get yours. And, maybe, you do not think you need an education. OK, fine. But I did, and I'd appreciate it if you'd let me be about it.

I believe that people, men and women, should wait for a life partner of the opposite sex before exploring their sexuality. I believe that a ceremony marking the founding of this relationship is in order. I do, and I'm not going to apologize for it. Does that mean I look down my nose at those of you who did not follow this plan? That would be really silly of me, so just get past it. Yes, to those children of mine who read this, I did have comments to make about your lifestyle choices. Again, you are my children, and I ask you to read the last sentence of the third paragraph. I also don't appreciate having to pay, financially or socially, for the lifestyle choices of those who disagree with me. Much like you are complaining about me trying to foist my lifestyle choices on you, I don't appreciate you doing the same to me. And you are.

I believe that mommies and daddies should stay together until the end of their lives so that their children can feel safe and secure. I believe daddies should provide for their children, not only financially, but also emotionally. I believe mommies should stay home with their children until their children leave the nest. I realize that this is not a perfect world, and that many cannot do these things. If you are doing your best to scrimp, save and meet your expenses and are genuinely unable to do so, ask me for help. I will give as much as I can. But if you're leaving your babies to someone else to care for so that there can be beer in the frig, shiny cars in the driveway or trips to be taken, quitcher complaining. I won't expect you to stop doing it, but I really don't want to hear how horrible your life is without those things. Your little sweetie pie is living without the people he/she loves the most, and that stinks.

I believe that men should love and support their wives, and women should love and support their husbands. Of course there will be difficulties, disagreements, and "loud discussions." I believe that those should be kept between the two of you, and not shared with the entire world. I especially believe that any children should not have to hear about it, take sides, or worry that their parents hate each other.

I believe that, when your working days are over, you still have much to offer, and should offer it. Kindly, patently, lovingly. Please let us reap the benefits of your years of toil and tears. We need that.

I believe that, when your parents' health begins to fail, you need to care for them as lovingly and sacrificially as they did you. After all, they changed your diapers for 2-3 years. Would it kill you to do the same? Yep, you'll have to give up some things. Didn't they? Get over yourself. Whether you like it or not, that will probably be you someday. Think about it.

I believe that God is all-powerful and omniscient, and, yet, he still allows bad things to happen. Yes, He could enclose you in bubble wrap and keep the bad meanies away, just like He could have sent armies of angels to smite the Romans and Pharisees and take his little boy down off that torture device. But He doesn't. And that's the way it is. Your being mad at Him for not is not going to change things. But you are welcome to continue believing that way and I will not stop you from doing so.

I really won't. And I'm really tired of hearing you say that I will, or that I do. I suspect it's guilt talking. That's your guilt to deal with, not mine. So do so, on your own, and we'll all be a lot happier. Even you. And, despite what you think, I really do want you to be happy.

1 comment:

Bi-Coloured-Python-Rock-Snake said...

I, too, have dealt with the sort of person who simple cannot imagine that the choices I make are not a tacit judgment of those who make different choices. I suspect those people reveal more about their own tacit judgments than about mine.