Thursday, January 10, 2008

Can you say, "Challenge?"

First, a correction. The tornadoes of which I spoke yesterday did not wander into Illinois from Wisconsin. They wandered into Wisconsin from Illinois. That is all. Carry on.

Today was one of my twice-weekly visits to the physical therapist. After carrying 4 children and countless bales of hay, among other things, my back decided to rebel during some "extreme gardening" this past spring. I've been hurting off and on ever since, although this guy really seems to be helping.
Since the definition of insanity is "doing the same thing over and over again, and expecting different results," here's where I put my plug in for a little less loyalty. See, I'd been seeing some physical therapists all summer, and didn't feel like things were moving along as well as they had when I'd seen them in the past. Then, when they got really busy and couldn't fit me in for another round, they suggested the guy I'm seeing now. Not only is he closer to home, but he's actually HELPING me. Go figure. So, in future, boys and girls, remember that if something isn't working, it's OK to try something else, within reason, of course.
So he worked me and stretched me and pulled me and I feel tired but improved, thank you very much. One challenge out of the way.
Second challenge comes this afternoon, when #3 son, EP, will welcome into our home the very nice National Guard recruiter. There are so many challenges in that statement. Firstly, this is my BABY boy, the very last boy to pop out of my very own body. (I use the term "pop out" very lightly, don't I, ladies?) He should still be 5 and climbing up on my lap for a "snuggle." But he wants to go and pull wounded soldiers away from danger so he can, like, help heal them or something. Combat medic, phooey. Second challenge is that this would be my third, count 'em third boy in the military. Uncle Sam, haven't you had enough yet? (You can't have my little girl, at least not until she gets old enough to tell me I can't make those decisions for her!) Lastly, but not leastly (is that even a word?) this National Guard recruiter is from the WISCONSIN National Guard. The Cheesehead Guard! And a traitor Illinoisan who crossed the border, no less. Lord, have mercy.

2 comments:

Elephantschild said...

HEY! says the former cheesehead.

Melody said...

FORMER. My point exactly!