Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Face it, Melody. You'll never be Pioneer Woman

Fans of the above blog may catch the reference; the very savvy rancher's wife with the really great blog; funny, smart, getting-real-technical-with-the-Photoshop. At one time, I think most bloggers will say, "I wanna be like Ree." I'm not gonna make it.
Take today, for instance. A perfect opportunity to show off my story telling, parenting and photography skills. Today was the day that Cain, our little wether goat, went to the butcher. Yep, you read right. We took him to the butcher, from whence he shall return in little white packages labeled, "Italian sausage." Goat meat makes wonderful Italian sausage. But I digress. I had a plan; to take pictures of the process; no, not the kill floor, just the loading, transport and unloading. But...I forgot my camera. Three of us in the car; three cameras between us. We all forgot.
After we dropped Cain off with Sam the Butcherman, we headed off into northern Illinois to see the tornado damage. Now, that's a real treat, iddn it? On Monday, a tornado touched down in Wisconsin and wandered over into Illinois, destroying the barns and shops of our favorite apple orchard, as well as the homes and barns of several families, and causing the evacuation of Lawrence, IL. The very town, by the way, where Cain met up with Sam the Butcherman. But I digress. I took the kids past the damage to "enrich their education" with an up-front-and-personal discovery of the damage a tornado can do. Having never seen it myself, I can only say, "Wow." A tornado can do SOME damage! It was an awesome sight. I will take now take seriously those announcements to take cover, one of which I shrugged off just this past Monday. I would love to share some pictures of the scenes we saw today. But...I forgot my camera. Three of us in the car; three cameras between us. We all forgot.
Actually, the car is a Chevy pickup. But I digress.
And don't get me started on how I messed up on the parenting skills. Think Mom learning how to run the transmitter for the MP3 player. 17 year-old son driving and "advising" Mom. 12 year-old daughter in the backseat, within arms' reach of her brother. No one had eaten until we stopped for a healthy, tasty breakfast...at MacDonald's. Driving through the countryside with a goat bleating in the back of the pickup. My parenting skills were tested to the limit. I even resorted to...
But I digress.

1 comment:

Kristi said...

But Melody, you'll give Ree a run for her money!

So glad to see you blogging. I have dutifully subscribed with bloglines, so that I won't miss a minute of your adventures. It kind of sounds like a day around here (actually many days around here).

And yes, I usually forget my camera and then wish I had it.