Tuesday, March 4, 2008

I was born in a small town...

Quick...whose song?
I was not born in a small town, nor was my husband. He grew up in a tiny one, of around 400 people. I did not; I grew up in a suburban -opolis, incorporated the year I was born, (1959) and is way past 50,000 by now.
But we MOVED to a small town; this little place has more than 6500 people and actually makes a page in Wikipedia; yee-haw! And, aside from being the place my kids call home, I learned yesterday that it has some neat claims to fame.
Without this company, your money would be pale. Yep. They make the green dye used in U S of A legal tender.
This company makes one-hole punches. They're the only ones who do. They're also the only ones who make those little change-dispensing machines that hang on the belts of beer vendors at the ball game. How would you get your change without them? Oh, and they make the Can't Miss Rat Trap, too!
It's been called "home" by pitcher Carl Lundgren, (who pitched for the Cubs from 1902-1909;remember him?) songwriter Egbert van Alstyne, (who wrote In The Shade of the Old Apple Tree in 1905) and attorney David Boies (who represented the US in US vs. Microsoft,and also represented Al Gore during Bush vs. Gore.)
Oh, and the international headquarters of this company's forklift division, where my husband would like to be hired, is in this little town, too.

Gotta love your small town!

6 comments:

Kristi said...

John Mellencamp (or John Cougar Mellencamp) depending on your age...

Did I win? Did I win???

Melody said...

Yeah for Kristi! She WINS...she wins the knowledge that she answered the quiz! Yee-haw!

Genuine Lustre said...

He will always be John Cougar to me.

Glenda said...

I knew it too, and does it count that he grew up in the small town right next to my hometown? And that his "small town" is the one my dad grew up in and I have all sorts of relatives still living in that small town? And what about seeing him in concert? Do I win something?

Cheryl said...

Darn, I was late to the party this time. But I knew the answer, too. Now all together now, in good Johnny Cougar fashion . . . "Oh, yeah!"

Elephantschild said...

Phooey on my missionary parents that I grew up without access to so much popular culture...

(waaaahh, waaahhh)