Monday, April 28, 2008

An Anniversary Party

I'm having another one of those days where I feel like I can't turn around without another demand being made on me. I'll get through it.
Yesterday I attended the 50th anniversary of the Lutheran church I grew up in, Prince of Peace. My worldview has long since parted ways with that of this church and it's governing synod, but it was really good to see old friends and relive old memories.
I had my first "God" experience there. I was 2, and had escaped from the nursery. Walking down the sanctuary aisle to find my mother, I saw God. He was standing in front of the people, wagging his finger, and looking very stern. I was pretty scared, but, then I found my mom. When I related this story to Pastor Paape many years later, he was horrified to think that I might have thought HE was God!
I went to Kindergarten at the school there, where I was the valedictorian and MC at the end of the year program. I got the job because I was the only one who could read!
I was confirmed and married in this congregation, and three of our children were baptized there. It was a wonderful, happy place, until... I won't go there. I got to see some of the people who made it such a wonderful place; the ones who caused the "until..." didn't show. That was OK.
So, Susan, Claudia, Jay, John, Diane, Marlene, Curt and the rest of you...it was a good party!

No comments: