Thursday, April 17, 2008

Finally.

It looks as though spring has finally arrived here in northern IL. The grass is green and it's warm enough that today, when I walk, I'll be wearing yoga pants instead of my sweats. I'll probably still need a sweatshirt, though.
There is still mud, and our property still looks more like a wetland than a farmyard. But that may be gone by the end of the month. The 10-day forecast (for what that's worth in this part of the country) calls for high 50s-low 70s, with a rain likely tomorrow. Not so much after that.
The birds outside my window are in a frenzy of territorial and mating calls. You do know that's what birdsong is all about, don't you? They're not about entertaining us with exquisite poetry; no, it's all about defending territory and enticing the ladies. Sorry.
It's so good to see green grass. The only bad thing about this is that it reminds me that I never got to pruning the fruit trees while they were still dormant, and I never sprayed dormant oil spray. Well, better late than never, I guess.
And, as much as I like the warm weather, it is complicating things a little today. I have quarts and quarts of beef broth to can (thanks to the beef I mentioned Tuesday,) and I'm not looking forward to the heat in my kitchen. But I have windows open and fresh spring air pouring in. What AM I complaining about?

1 comment:

Elephantschild said...

Mmmm.... beef. It's what's for dinner!

I've got to have the Dh get the grill up and running for the spring.