Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Homeschooling Again

Today we were out for lunch with the grandmas and the aunts. We were talking about how MSP used to run cross country and track with our church's day school, until along came a new coach who doesn't really care for homeschoolers. It became so difficult for MSP that we just quit.
My aunt and cousin both agreed that teachers shouldn't like homeschoolers, that we work directly opposite each other. I disagreed; I think we complement each other. After all, I don't think a teacher would want me around; I might micromanage her classroom too much. (Not really, but I would express myself.) And, to be fair, I sometimes find motivation in what the classroom teachers at Zion are doing. Anyway, my aunt turned to MSP and said, (conversation follows)
A: MSP, do you really like homeschooling?
MSP: Yes. I can do my work when and where I want, and I don't have to be up at 6am to catch the bus.
(short digression about what happens when she doesn't do her work. :) )
A: But what will you do when you get a job and have to get up at 6am?
MSP: I'll get up at 6am.
Duh. A 13 year-old had to tell her that!
I could go on, but I really intended to blog today about some global warming stuff I found yesterday, sort of as a spin-off from the (somewhat one-sided) conversation we had yesterday about gas prices. But, you know. I really don't have the energy. Or the inclination. If any of you are still interested in getting all lathered up about something that isn't happening, (we've been getting cooler, not hotter, for the past decade) let me know. Otherwise, I'm heading outside to plant a peach tree.

2 comments:

Susan said...

When we were on our fieldtrip for the Mwkee homeschool group on Monday, many of us were approached by a girl collecting signatures on a petition. Would we want to sign?, she asks. Uhhh, maybe she'd like to tell us what the petition is about first?

Global warming. And she wanted us to SIGN it? Fat chance!

Glenda said...

"What will you do when you have to get up at 6am?"

My response - I won't take that job. One more reason I love being a mom and staying home. Yes, we have to get up throughout the night at times, but we can also nap during the day, and by golly we can train them to eventually sleep in. :-D