Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Lord, Have Mercy

It's been coming at us fast and furious since Saturday. Rest? What's that? Constant motion seems to be the design for us these days. I have been trying to blog at the end of the day, but I tend, instead, to fall into bed, exhausted. It's been family pressures, yard work, (the ground is finally drying, so mowing and raking can finally be done!) and animal-tending (spring is lovely, but brings its own challenges.)

I would say I'm suffering now from mild sleep deprivation. Of the 34 psychological effects listed here, I have 15. An article in the Los Angeles Times from October of 2006 (here) says, "In April, the Institute of Medicine issued a report confirming links between sleep deprivation and an increased risk of hypertension, diabetes, obesity, depression, heart attack and stroke." Apparently, it is likely that the American increase in obesity can be linked to sleep deprivation, in that it effects the way our bodies produce hormones that help us digest food. We can even put ourselves at greater risk for early stage Type 2 diabetes by skimping on sleep.
So, why am I blogging at 6:30-isham, having fallen into bed around 11pm? Because today Grandma needs to be at an appointment for a new hearing aid. Which may alleviate some stresses as well!
I promise to do all I can to get 8 hours of sleep tonight.

2 comments:

Cheryl said...

I have at least 15 of those, too (wonder if they're the same 15?) I wonder how my life and outlook and effectiveness would change if I could only manage to get sufficient sleep? Maybe I should give it a try one of these days . . .

Anyway, sweet dreams, sweetie! You deserve it!

Elisha said...

Hoping you are able to get some rest. We too have started the mowing and planting and all that comes with spring and it sure is tiring.