Friday, August 29, 2008

Come To My Window

Remember our night visitor? Well, she has taken to roosting in my kitchen window!



She seems to like squeezing into the triangle of the open window. Maybe the closeness makes her feel secure. In any case, she shows up about when I'm putting dinner on the table. She announces her presence with a few loud clucks, then settles in. As we do the dishes, she talks to us with little chirrups. If we get up in the night for a drink, she talks to us again. In the morning, she's gone when we get up, although she comes by to say, "Hi," when we head out for chores.

Much like Pioneer Woman, I probably get a little too maternal about our critters. Heaven help me when our bottle calf arrives later in September! Last night our air conditioning was actually on; the humidity came up later in the day, and the heat as well. Her window was closed, but Mrs. Hen still wanted to roost. She was very upset, walking back and forth on the windowsills that run along the back of the house. So was I. Despite John telling me I was nuts, and despite the fact that I agreed with him, I opened the window so she could snuggle in for the night.

And she was there until the wee hours of the morning!

Side note; the sign on the windowsill is my mom's idea of ha-ha-funny-funny!

2 comments:

Elephantschild said...

Will she taste better for all the tender loving care you're giving her?


:) Just teasing. What a sweetie of a hen you've got.

RPW said...

We all need to have our neuroses coddled...and so much more so if we are going to be dinner someday!!

I WANT THE SIGN!!!!