Thursday, August 14, 2008

A Rant

Today was "one of those days." You know how there have been days when I blogged about my schedule, and someone would respond, "Just reading that makes me tired!" Well, today was like that. Laundry (I folded all that laundry from earlier in the week!) and little people, and Grandma's nurse, and phone calls to attorneys and relatives to answer questions from Grandma's nurse and making lunch and trying to get a walk in and dealing with...Well, it doesn't matter.

All of that was ENOUGH. But, what pushed me over the edge was the phones. We were STUPID enough to buy cordless phones. THREE of them. One was for our dining room; handset 1. One was for our office; handset 2. And one was for Grandma; handset 3. Never mind that Grandma's NEVER leaves her nightstand ("it might run out of battery") and, instead, we often find handset 1 in her walker or on the table by her chair. Never mind that. Today ALL THREE went missing. And, you know, nothing guarantees repeated phone calls like a missing cordless. Racing through the house got the best of me; I gave up and started using the stationary phone that we keep on the kitchen wall IN CASE OF EMERGENCY AND ALL OUR PHONES ARE MISSING. Never mind that we thought, "No WAY that would happen, ha, ha!"

-whew-

Handset 3 was found on the cradle (who put it there? No one would admit it) in the dining room. Handset 2 was found on the kids' computer desk, where Ethan sat. (I asked, "Is the phone there?" "No, Mom.") Handset 1 miraculously appeared; if I were Catholic, I would thank St. Anthony. But I'm Lutheran; so I have to thank God.

Right now I have handset 2 and am at my computer desk in the office. Handset 3 is on Grandma's nightstand, preserving it's charge. Handset 1 is, once again, lost in the ozone. Would someone please send it back?

Please?

4 comments:

Karen said...

Cordless phones are always missing at our home too. We have 4 and I'm almost to the point of telling everyone to call my cell, because I can find the cell. All these modern conveniences sure make life more stressful! I'm glad you were able to find all your hidden phones.

Elisha said...

We used to also have several cordless phones. I too could never find any of the phones when needed. I now have one cordless that is based in the kitchen but the kitchen dining room and family room are all open to each other so it works well. The wall phone is in the back of the house.

I got tired of looking for phones and now that i am used to only having the one cordless (and my cell of course) I don't even miss those other cordless phones. And I sure don't miss looking for them!

Glad you found yours!

Wolf Pack said...

we have two cell phones (well, there's the three spares of those that I try not to think about how stupid I was to be hoodwinked into getting those "freebies") and a hardwired phone. Our message on the home number says we'll call back once we've found the phone. I have a house elf (his name is Thad and he's 18 months) and he doesn't do what he's told, he does what he's not supposed to do (and you could argue that all that time spend throwing himself against the floor or banging his head on the wall is his self punishment for stealing my cell phone but... ah well, maybe I need to put a tea towel on him and take loads of video when he's throwing a tantrum!). He likes to steal my phone (he can find it anywhere. I can't keep it on me b/c he'll take it there too). So, I tend to try and hide it from him, the problem is it's hidden from me too - it's a game we play - I'll call the cell from a spare phone and you all run around the house looking for it!

I'd send phone #1 to you but dobby's sleeping with it! ;)

Michelle said...

LOL - I just looked up and noticed my downstairs phone is missing from the office - I'm guessing it's upstairs! (I was working today)

We have a handset locator button on each phone base which has saved me many times from hunting forever!

But, I hate it when I have to run upstairs for the phone that is supposed to be downstairs, so when I get there, I'm answering the phone completely out of breath!