Saturday, August 23, 2008

Saturday

(NOTE: It's Blogger's fault that this didn't show up until Sunday.)

Just to shake things up (because I'm all about change, you know) I decided to do my weekly farm report AFTER the fact this week. I can hear you all saying, "Woo hoo!" from here.

Today was predicted to be 87 degrees and very humid. During our morning walk, and at Mary's riding lesson (where I, once again, was able to ride, and there was no flapping of elbows, thankyouverymuch)




I noticed that the prediction was most likely to come true. I decided that this would be a good day to hide in the air conditioning clean the house. So clean we did. John and Mary took advantage of the excuse that it looked like rain to avoid the yard work that also needed to be done and joined me inside in the cool. The upstairs looks awesome; we never got to the downstairs, but that'll be done tomorrow and won't take so long anyway.

All this worry about cleaning is motivated by school starting Monday. Once the homeschooling is in full swing, there will be less time for other housewifey details like cleaning. I have deluded myself into thinking that, if I get it all in shape this weekend, a few minutes of maintenance will be all I will need as the fall comes on. JUST IN CASE, I once again broached the subject of a cleaning person to help me out once a month. John did not react, so I am thinking that that may be a possibility. Stay tuned.

I know, or have been told, that homeschoolers should not worry about cleaning and such. That our lives are all about the children, their wants and needs, and making a safe, fun environment for them to learn in. Well, if Momma ain't happy, ain't nobody happy, and this Momma ain't happy if the floor is crunchy. If my bathrooms are sanitary and my kitchen, too, I am a happy camper. BUT I also need the dust bunnies under control and the closet doors close-able, or I get really distracted and take time away from schooling to put things in order again. It's worth trying to hire someone to do it for me.

Will I? I said, STAY TUNED.

2 comments:

Cheryl said...

I have often thought over the years about how nice it would be to have cleaning help, and I have felt I could justify it somewhat on the basis that in addition to schooling the kids I work part-time. But every time we get to the point that there are a few extra dollars coming in such that we might be able to consider this option, I look at those few extra dollars and think of all sorts of other things I would rather spend them on, especially since I have two able-bodied and capable young helpers in the house whom I should be doing a better job of training to someday keep their own houses. So I think for now, and probably for all time, the cleaning lady dream is going to remain just that--a dream. (But ah, it sure is a nice dream, isn't it?)

Anonymous said...

Before we moved here, you know, like when we were trying to sell the house while tending a newborn, we paid someone to clean once. WoW. Like Cheryl says, I feel like I should just train the kids to do a better job. . .but on the other hand I sure enjoyed how clean the house was after a visit from professionals!!