Monday, August 25, 2008

Putting More By

Today was supposed to be our first day of school. Mary did do a little history. I have a new student this year; a 1st grader I'll call Seanster. Today Seanster did some "placement testing," which means we talked about values for pennies, nickels and dimes, and we read some. Tomorrow starts the real work.

But before the real work begins, I needed some time to do some real work. Got that? This weekend I picked up three-fourths of a bushel of Lodi apples, a summer apple which makes lovely pies and sauce. So, today I got Grandma and Mary peeling and slicing.



Pastry was rolled.



Apples and spices were mixed.



Pies were assembled.




And vacuum sealed. (What a neat toy! Thanks, Mom, for the Christmas present!)



And, while one was baked for tonight, the end result was...5 pies in my freezer!



That is going to be so satisfying on some cold winter night. With some coffee. And a fire. Mmmm.....

2 comments:

Elisha said...

ok now I want apple pie too. i had planned on making apple sauce but think I may have to make pies now. hmmmmmmm.................

Elephantschild said...

No. Way.

You can put a whole unbaked PIE in a vaccuum bag?

Unbelievable.

Sigh. Never had Lodi, but the farmer's market guy says he's got Yellow Transparent trees, if I remember to go looking early enough. They're done already.

What's a good bushel price by you? In Wisconsin I paid $16/bushel for unsorted Jonathan and Courtlands. Havent' checked around here. The Farmer's Market Guy had his at about $1/pound.