Thursday, November 20, 2008

Grumpage

I need a secretary. I really do.

From about 9am until about 3pm, daily, I teach two children here in my home. Everyone I know knows this. My family, my friends, my grandchildren's school, everybody. And, yet, the phone never stops ringing. Five times already today. Sometimes my home phone, sometimes my mobile. Some of you who called are reading these words.

What part of "Melody homeschools?" is not getting through? Tell you what. Call Joy's and Jannah's school. Right now, or, if you're reading this after school, between 8am and 2:45pm, Monday through Friday. You can find the number in the phone book; you know the name. Ask for Mrs. Koplin or Mrs. Jones. See how quickly they come to the phone.

I know, I know, I could leave the phone unanswered. But, remember, I don't live alone. Someone in the basement answers and calls upstairs. Someone in the kitchen answers, but you won't leave a message. "Can't I just talk to her for a minute?" Or, you get the answering machine, but call back right away "Because it was important."

Try that one with Mrs. Koplin. I really do love you, and love talking to you. But I'm busy right now. Please leave a message. Either I'll call you back when I can, or, if it really is important, I'll hear the machine as you leave it and I'll pick up.

Or am I just a hopeless grump?

2 comments:

Ma said...

Melody,

I did not home school and I didn't know anyone who did when my boys were small. But...you have made an excellent point. Something I never thought about.

I hope your blog reminds others that homeschooling is a teaching job just like regular school.

Good luck!

Betsy

Elephantschild said...

Ya know, seriously - what would it cost to have an answering service?

It might actually work - Sparkle's cello school had one, and some doctors offices still do. It would be an effective "door keeper."

And you'd only be paying for a 1/2 day of service, not all day.