Saturday, November 29, 2008

Saturday on the Farm

Actually, we haven't spent much time on the farm today...

This morning I rolled over and made John an offer he couldn't refuse. I said, "If you let me stay in bed another half hour, I'll let you go out and take care of the animals..." He must have still been asleep, because he got up and dressed, and out he went. Whoda thunk it would be that easy!

We took Mary to riding lesson today. Jackie, her instructor, has an old Arab-mix mare who is very sick. She began showing signs of diabetes about 3 months ago, and foundered shortly thereafter. Despite much doctoring and TLC, it looks as though Agatha may not make it through the winter. The vet will be out Tuesday for his assessment. At 23, Agatha has had a good life, so, despite her weakness, Jackie let her out into the late-fall air, along with her buddy, Ace, a Percheron. We stayed for a bit to watch them play, Agatha gimping along and Ace dancing like a foal.

Afterward, we visited the bank, where, wonder of wonders, they gave us money! We musta had some in there, right? It was a surprise to us.

Then it was off to dine at McDonald's, where we ran into my uncle. He's a farrier, and had been out working today, so we talked horses and politics for a while. At the end, he said, "Well, we haven't accomplished much, but at least we got a lot off our chests!" That's how talking politics IS for some people, right?

Then it was home again to start some beef broth cooking; canning will be happening tomorrow! I have some beets cooking, too. If I'm making beef broth, I may as well make a pot of beet soup.

This afternoon is house chores and then a matinee. A stop at Farm and Fleet is also in the picture.

Another day in middle America!

1 comment:

Wendi said...

Sheesh! Iread the second sentance and wondered if I SHOULD keep reading! LOL!!! After succombing to temptation and curiosity I did. And boy was I glad I did!!! I will have to remember that one for use on MY dh! LOL!!!

Sounds like a wonderful day in mid America!