Thursday, December 4, 2008

My Thrift Store Deal

So yesterday I took that pile over to Bethesda Thrift. As I was unloading, another couple was there. The other lady and I noticed a leather coat with a fur collar on the pile of things that had just come in. Now, the thrift store is in The Big City of Crystal Lake, along with Sears, and that produce market I've talked about. While I was driving there, I was musing that I needed to replace my more-than-ten-year-old dress coat, and I'd like to get one with some fur on it, but that would be 1) politically incorrect and 2) expensive.

Never mind the PC when you're at the thrift store, right? As it turned out, the coat was too small for me, although it was JUST too small and it was a size 8, so I'm feeling pretty good again about the whole weight loss thing. I was just having the thought that it might fit Mary when the man who was taking in our collection said, "I have another coat with a fur collar..."

Camel wool and coyote. It fits perfectly although, Wendy, Mary is APPALLED that I would wear coyote. ("They're just so...ewww...")

I went to the front of the store to pay for my find. AT the register, they said, "Coats are buy-one-get-one-free today. You have to take two." Having been distracted by negotiations for the coat, and the fact that Sean was, by now, sitting in on Jay's piano lesson, me running behind at the thrift store and all, I temporarily forgot the leather one. I grabbed another, furry, one, that I decided I would just take to our church coat drive.

Until I was in the car, explaining my cool deal to Mary. THEN I remembered the other coat. I was bold enough to turn around and ask if they would swap my "extra" coat for the leather-and-as-I-found-out-MINK coat for Mary. They would!

They'll need some reworking (I'm taking off the bottom row of fur and adding buttons; it's a wrap-around right now) and alterations (EC? When are you coming?) but my total bill...$16.16.

Woot!

3 comments:

Elephantschild said...

Oh, Melody, I hate to disappoint you, but changing a wrap-around coat to a button-down one requires taking the coat totally apart and re-cutting all the front pieces -- that, and I don't have any way to make buttonholes in that thick wool coat fabric. :-(

Keeping the coat as a wrap-around that buttons at the side hip and scrapping the tie might be do-able, though. And I can definitely help with shortening sleeves and hems, and taking off the fur!

Genuine Lustre said...

I think the wrap around coat would show off your new waistline.

I have a fur coat I bought second hand. It's very warm, eccentric and I like to pretend I"m in Dr Zhivago.

Jane said...

I second Mossback's opinion about the wrap-around.

I have a mink coat that was my step-grandmother's. It has cool early sixties styling, I just feel odd when I think of wearing it. Maybe I just need to go for it.