Tuesday, January 13, 2009

You Still There?

You're still hanging around? The last few days have been pretty boring; thanks for reading. Today may be no better.

I have some choices to make today. I have this hotel room until tomorrow. Hotel living is wearing on me. It's the simplest thing that gets to me; rotten coffee. Yes, I have coffee in here, and I can make it. But hotel room coffee is notoriously bad, and I haven't done so yet. I could go two doors down for coffee, waffles, eggs, etc...but I'm still in my jammies. And a nice Midwestern girl just doesn't go out in public in her jammies. (Unless there are geese on the pond, but that's another post someday.) So I have the choice between rotten coffee...and no coffee.

I have been thinking about heading home. As much as I like playing set-up-the-house with Matthew and Jarvis, (his last name, but his first is also Matthew; it'll be confusing while they room together!) I realize that I need to get home. Mary will be appearing as a Woodland Maiden in The Chronicles of Narnia; The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe on Saturday night, and dress rehearsals started Sunday. The director knows the situation and is good with it, but I should have the WM home in time for the last one on Friday, if not the second-to-last one on Thursday. I also am beginning to feel guilty for having other people caring for our animals for so long. So, in short, home is calling.

But then I checked out the forecast.

It's 11 degrees there this morning. By Thursday, the high will be -2! Wind chills are expected to be in the -20 range, and there is blowing snow. Today there is a blizzard warning. It'll be lovely driving, won't it? Not to mention a quick re-introduction to the Midwest!

So I have choices; leave today, leave tomorrow, stay here longer. Get dressed and go get coffee, or stay here and whine about it. And then there's the whole route home; go through OK, KS, MO and IA, like I did on the way here? Go home through St. Louis instead of Iowa City? Or, since our History study has brought us up to the Civil War, go home through LA and TN, stopping to see some sights and sites along the way? But then Mary would probably miss those dress rehearsals altogether.

All right. First decision made. I have got to get some coffee so I can clear the cobwebs and think through this in some sane fashion!

No comments: