Sunday, May 30, 2010

Sunday. Memorial Day Weekend.

Two of our soldier sons are out of town this weekend. Jay and Kris have gone to see her parents, and Matthew and Keri are camping near Ft. Sill in Oklahoma. Ethan has been at his annual training this past two weeks. Someone actually planned that AT would occur such that Memorial Day would fall right during those three weeks. So he had a four-day and came home for the weekend.

Our congregation is very good about recognizing those who serve in the military, most likely because our Associate Pastor, Ray Ayers, is himself a soldier, serving as a chaplain in the Reserves. Today those who have served or are currently serving were asked to wear their uniforms to church. They were recognized before the services, and during a special coffee hour. At the coffee hour, Pastor Ayers grouped those in attendance (by no means all of those serving!) for a picture.



Ethan is right there, up in front; Pastor Ayers is in the back to the left. A couple of the other men are friends of ours. I am ashamed to say that, although we attend the same church and often exchange hellos, I don't the names of some of the rest. But I am honored to know them all.

2 comments:

Joelle said...

I don't know if you saw my comment from a week or two ago on the post where you mention Harvard Dairy Days. My parents go to church with you. They've only been going there for about a year. I grew up in Crystal Lake and went to church and school at Immanuel. We played sports against the LCMS school there. I currently live in Idaho. Pastor Ayres attended the church we go to now before he was a pastor (we didn't live here yet). I went to college with 'Ewe', and that is how I found your blog. I mentioned you to my mom - she'll try to find you at church. :)

Melody said...

Yes, I did! I tried to e-mail you, but couldn't find an address. Good to "meet" you!