Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Gold Star Mother

I found this clipping on my mom's dresser the other day. We were cleaning out clothes, jewelry and other items that she had collected through the years. I remember seeing this when I was a young mom, maybe 24-25 years old. I sobbed like a baby, thinking, "I hope that won't be my son." I had only one at that time, and would have gone bonkers if someone had told me, as I read this poem, that someday I'd have three, all serving in the military.

It's a little smarmy and silly, but it's all true.

She gave him birth and watched him grow
And dressed him up from toe to toe.
She taught him how to smile and walk,
To eat and drink and how to talk.
She made his lunch for school each day,
And she taught him how to work and play.
She urged him on and helped him choose,
And nursed each cut and bump and bruise.
She guided him from wrong to right,
And she told him how and when to fight.
But most of all, right from the start,
She gave her boy her loving heart.
While he, in turn, was more than glad
To give up all he ever had,
That you and I and other sons
Might never meet the blazing guns.
So let us pay our deep respect,
And solemnly let us reflect
Upon the grave she gave that we
Might carry on to victory.


She told me once that the clipping had come from her mother, who thought it was moving and shared it with her. There is no author cited, so I can't give credit! Thank you, unknown person!

No comments: