Monday, August 30, 2010

Monday, Monday


Monday is one of those days when the housework gets done. The other is Thursday. Yes, I am one of those old-fashioned people that believes in housework. I don't farm it out to paid help; I do enlist the other people who live here.

Mondays, the stalls get raked out. Mondays, the beds get stripped. Yes, we wash sheets weekly, odd as that is to many. I remember my mom doing it, and I love the feeling of those clean sheets. So it's worth the work to me. Mondays, the floors get vacuumed, even though we have hard floors everywhere and no carpeting. Mondays, the frig gets cleaned out, and all the stuff that might turn green soon finds a new home in the trash. Other leftovers get slotted in for meals during the week. Oh, yeah, I make up a menu for the week. Sometimes it's just in my head, but, with Matthew and Keri here, we've been writing it out as much as possible. Mondays, the laundry gets started. Laundry for a family of 6 adults takes 2 full days to finish, but we get it done. Mondays, the bathrooms get cleaned, the trash goes out, the cat boxes get scooped, the garden shed gets swept...It's a lot of work, but it feels so good at the end of the day, to have it all done.

At least until Thursday, when it starts all over again!!

2 comments:

Elephantschild said...

I adopted a Laundry Day (Monday) and a Cleaning Day (Friday) not long after my kid turned two. It's been a relief, because I only let myself do those things on their days. I don't clean the other days, even if something "needs" to be cleaned. If I don't have much time on my cleaning day, well, then I just scale back and do a quick tidy up and call it done. Makes for much sanity.

Thursdays is my new meal-planning day. Meal planning is really the one big thing I'm VERY un-organized about. But I'm working on it!

Cheryl said...

I've been thinking that now that I'm spending more time at home (and my cleaning lady days are fast becoming a distant memory) I should get more methodical about how I approach the cleaning. Right now I don't really have a routine or a plan of action. Laundry gets done a little every day--that's how I've found I can manage it best. Also, of course, cooking and dishes. The cleaning happens when I start to notice that things look dirty. But then if I or a designated party can't get to it because we have entered a phrase of schedule craziness, it drives me crazy until it gets done. So I've been thinking I should codify a system of what jobs to do on what day and then farm them out to the indentured servants. Hmmm, maybe you've just inspired me. Maybe.

BTW, anyone who may be reading and may be inclined to suggest Flylady: I know about Flylady. I don't do Flylady. So save your breath, okay? :-)