Monday, January 16, 2012

Martin Luther King Day

We have the day off. I was going to was poetic about how he would have wanted children in school, learning about American history, not in front of TVs, playing video games. I was going to talk about equality and freedom, but we live in a country that is losing both daily. I could talk about the faith that he lived and espoused, but, while doing some research this morning, I was surprised to learn that his Christian beliefs were, well, not so Christian. You don't have to take my word for it; look it up! I will say that he and I shared a favorite hymn



although this is not my favorite version. My favorite version is sung on Sunday in my church.

So today I'll be dropping some things off at the thrift store, spending time with my daughter and, later, heading to a 4H meeting where I will listen to kids learn about farm life and then support a local farmer by buying some of his milk. Hmmm...maybe I do get the point of this day, after all.

No comments: