Friday, December 21, 2007

Sorry. I Just Can't Do It.

I just can't be Grinchy two days in a row. I've been drinking coffee with our Texas-bred vicar, who is here today smoking a brisket for tonight's dinner. JP4 came by and brought our grandson. How can I be Grinchy? I'm sorry, but you'll just have to wait until tomorrow for Grinchy, Part 2.
But I HAVE to share SOME wisdom, don't I? OK, here it is. Wear red today. Now, some of you got out of bed and put on the first thing that came to hand. Some of you carefully planned your wardrobe. And some of you, like me, just got dressed. But some of you might not be dressed yet. You've run your 5 miles, done crunches and push-ups, and are now settling down to a Seaweed Smoothie. After you're done here, put on some red.
Red on Friday is a quiet way to remember that somewhere, someone is wielding a weapon for you. George Orwell said, "People sleep peacefully in their beds at night only because real men stand ready to do violence in their behalf." He was, of course, right. I mean, Animal Farm. I rest my case.
Sometime since our current national adventure started, someone, somewhere, decided that wearing red on Fridays was a quiet way to honor those who put their lives on the line for us, 24/7, rain or sandstorm, 365 (or 366, depending.) It's simple, it's painless, and we all have some red in our wardrobe. I don't know who started this; I heard about it at www.militarymoms.net, and have tried to "comply" every Friday since. Give it a whirl. Don't make a big deal out of it. The soldiers don't. They just do what's right.
Oh, that militarymoms.net thing. It's a gathering spot on the web for military moms. If you are one, stop by. You will have to be approved by the moderators; it's for security reasons. But it's a good place. If you're not a military mom, sorry. It's the only clique I belong to!

No comments: