Thursday, December 27, 2007

Why I Believe This is Not the Time For a Female American President

This news item literally brought me to tears today. I have kids; I don't have a surplus of time to follow American politics, much less Pakistani, but her career always interested me. She seemed sensible, and seemed to care about her country. And now she can't care anymore.
If we WEREN'T at war, a female president wouldn't bother me. I wouldn't choose to do that myself, and I would hope my daughter didn't, but I don't have a problem with a woman in the White House. BECAUSE we ARE at war, life and politics are different. And, because we're dealing with a culture very different from ours, one where women have a very different role and public presence, this is not the time to elect a woman president in the United States.
I don't believe this other culture has a very positive opinion of our culture. There is a complete lack of respect that goes beyond the usual negative comments about the war, or any war. Some of this lack of respect ranges around our culture's treatment of women. I believe that a woman at the bargaining table, or any representative of her, would be held at the same low level of respect.
If you're a fan of the current female candidate, please consider this. Please. My sons' lives may depend on it.

No comments: