Saturday, April 5, 2008

Sunny Saturday

After a week like I just had, what I really need is to sleep and sleep. But...I'm up, fully caffeinated and discussing Lutheran doctrine and good food with good friends. I'm at Round, Unvarnish'd Tale's house, preparing for our excellent Chicago adventure.
This week at Pine Ridge farm, we fed baby chickens, who poop FAR more than they eat. We've never been able to figure that out... They're really cute, but they won't stay that way. When we got our first batch of "meat birds," I was really worried. As we took them out of the box and put them into the hutch, I thought "What are my kids going to do when we take these out of the hutch to go to the butcher?" There they were, cooing and awwww-ing over the cute little fuzzballs. How could I shatter their happy little world? Fast forward 9 weeks, as they were preparing to GO to the butcher. The kids are saying, "These things stink. And they're AWFUL. And they have to stay here ANOTHER WEEK?" I guess I needn't have worried...
And we seeded the pasture. It's been getting a little thin over the years, and it was time for a little oomph-ing. EP and I spent a late afternoon flinging seed and getting in each other's way. Oh--and I got to see him jump over our fence. Sorry, sweetie; Bessie does it with more grace!
Bill will probably be going home this weekend. I won't be there to help. Darn.
John will be working on a fence this weekend...I hope. We're dividing said pasture so we can rotate the critters through and let the grasses recover a bit from bein' eaten. (That was country alliteration. Say it aloud; you'll hear it!)
Hopefully, though I'll be drinking Austrian coffee and enjoying my girl time. Hopefully? Nah--it's a given!

7 comments:

Cheryl said...

So how did you manage to write this blog post in my very own house without my even noticing? Do you have bionic speed typing skills or something? Or did
we just not schedule enough for you to do?

Next time we'll have to plan a bit better so as to get you that place you wanted to go!

Melody said...

hee-hee-hee
I think you might have been picking kids up from church.
I had a great time, regardless of coffeeshop! Oh, and Mary and I dined at Noodles tonight. :)

Cheryl said...

P.S. Your forgot your ice chest. And I have a couple of unfamiliar bottles of shampoo & conditioner here. Care to claim them?

Elephantschild said...

Well, we know that those bottle of shampoo aren't mine, since as you ladies know, I've stopped washing my hair. (!!)

Melody does have bionic typing skills; I watched her typing.

Elephantschild said...

just an S

For want of an "s"

Cheryl said...

Melody, reading these comments over I had to chuckle. Yours makes it sound like we dropped the kids off for church and came home to blog! (For all our Lutheran friends who might be reading this, I picked up the kids from church on SATURDAY morning from an activity they were involved in there!)

Melody said...

Cheryl, I don't think the shampoo bottles are mine. The only ones we brought were ones Caitlin had left at our house when she stayed. That meant she had to borrow some while we were there, but Caitlin didn't mind. :)
Darn; I'll miss that ice chest. I'll get it next time. I already missed the Dove chocolate I left; enjoy!
Elephant's Child's hair should not cause anyone pause; it's clean and curly!
Oh, Lutheran friends. She's lying. We dumped the kids and headed home to blog and shop online.
Not really. :)