Wednesday, April 2, 2008

The More Things Change...

Today was lunch out with the grandmas. My kids have been blessed through the years to know 2 grandmas and 3 great-grandmas. It's very unusual, mostly because all are from first marriages. There's not a step among them. Now my grandchildren know 2 grandmas, 4 great-grandmas, and 2 (?) great-great-grandmas. They, also, are blessed. Once a week we get together with my mom and grandma, and my aunt, who is also a grandma. It gets a little hectic when a small voice says, "Grandma?"
Today's conversation turned, as it often does, to homeschooling. "I couldn't do it, and I don't think very many people should. You at least have an educational background. Lots of these parents don't care if their kids get educated. And, since you homeschool, how are they going to learn to get up early when they have a job someday?"
It's the same conversation. I even heard, "I could be doing it in 5 years, but I don't think so. I don't think it's something I could do."
-sigh- Don't my own relatives read my blog?
Fast forward to a few hours later. After my class in Women in American History (more on that some other time) I stop at the local WalMart for some things. Among them were new sheets for MAP, who has been using the same ones for a while and tells me, "I can't get the sand out anymore." (I managed to find a soft set in "sandy;" isn't that an appropriate color?) As I was checking out, I told the checker that I was tickled to find such a color. While my son won't notice--what man would?--I thought it was cute. As I left she said, "Well, good luck to you. I know I couldn't send my kid off to the Army."
Oh for pity's sake. I'm so tired of the same conversations about different subjects!

1 comment:

Elephantschild said...

My mom called me from Target the other night. "Evan says he wants those 100% bamboo-fiber sheets. What color should I get him?" ::giggle::

I really can't stand the "I couldn't" line of talk. Good grief - do people think I'm some sort of superwoman that I homeschool? NOT. Someday, I'm going to just lose it while talking to someone...

Hey! Blogger gave me the word "frodo" for the verification! Do you know how long I've been waiting for blogger to accidentally give me a real word?