Monday, August 4, 2008

The Book I Finished

I picked up The Farm on Nippersink Creek about a week and a half ago. I've been meaning to post a short review of it, but, with the fair and all, it's been busy.


Nippersink Creek flows about 40 minutes from here, to the north and east. It flows through the town of Spring Grove, where the author, Jim May, grew up. So you can say it's "local storytelling." We "buy local" as much as possible here.


It's a nice little book, with 18 stories from his young life. People who have lived here all their lives tell me of Jim May coming into their classrooms to tell stories. His stories "Terror in the Barnyard" and "Horse Snot," included in this book, were hilarious (although I doubt very much the latter was told in any school classroom.) I recommend it for nightable reading, and am willing to pass on my copy to the first person who wants it. Not that I want to get rid of it; it's just full of good stories.

My connection to the book is that I buy local honey from Tim May. Not sure of the relationship, but I'm sure they are.

No comments: