Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Vocation? Or Interruption?

I had semi-formed plans today to go shopping for new walking shoes, take Grandma to her friend's for lunch, pick up a 1/2 bushel of pickles, and maybe see some friends of my own. But, as C. S. Lewis reminds me every time I look up from my keyboard at the bulletin board on the wall:

"The great thing, if one can, is to stop regarding all the unpleasant things as interruptions of one's "own" or "real" life. The truth is, of course, that what one calls the interruptions are precisely one's real life--the life God is sending one day by day; what one calls one's "real life" is a phantom of one's own imagination."

Big interruption today. Grandma woke up with extremely low blood pressure. Luis the Nurse made his regular visit, and found her still in bed. After vitals were taken and medication discussed, it became apparent that I wasn't going anywhere.

So I've been playing Melody the Nurse, taking vitals every hour or so, relaying them to the medicos, who agree she's much better. She has had lunch and is up and reading the paper, so things are going well.

I could have been very angry about this. I admit, I'm disappointed, and moreso because I really need those shoes for tomorrow's walk. But, I will get them. I will get them on another day than I intended, but they will be on my feet in the end. Grandma's friend was very understanding, and we'll set up another date for the two of them. My friends, well, they're traveling, so I guess I miss out. But EP will head off soon for the pickles. My kitchen floor might get washed today; it should have been done, but I put it off. And I'll get a nap. Wow! What an exciting life I lead.

It's not hang-gliding and foreign travel, but there's never a dull moment in my life. And sometimes there are very special ones, like taking care of Grandma when she's sick. And that's the way it is.

No comments: