Saturday, November 22, 2008

I Am Very Fragrant Today

No, I am not having a deodorant malfunction. I am raking and burning leaves. Actually, that part of my day is all done. The front yard looks lovely, except for the burnt strips. I usually rake it all up and truck it to our burn pile. This year, however, this chore got left until very late, and I don't have a lot of time. So I did what I'm calling the Dirty Method.

In this method, I mowed the lawn in ever-narrowing rectangles. This left long strips of leaves. Periodically, four times, to be exact, I got down off the mower and set the strips on fire. In a couple of days, I'll go out and toss some grass seed on top of the strips; the seed will come up in spring.

Right? I've never done it this way before, and I'm just guessing.

To complicate matters, I have two squads of soldiers holding maneuvers in my yard. Well, they like to think so, anyway. It's actually Ethan, Vicar, (who is about to leave our small town -sniff- for his last year at seminary) and a buncha kids who are airsofting in the cold.

I told them that if the farmhand (me) got shot, maneuvers were over.

Now I am done, and they don't have that worry. But I think I'll go make them some popcorn and hot chocolate. Aren't I a sweetie?

1 comment:

Ma said...

I love that idea!!! Mowing in strips! Why haven't I thought of that!!!